Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Tidy Little Boxes

Compartmentalization is like calculus,
and physics at the quantum level. On
the exterior, detachment is all that I’m
able to muster and maintain near you

so that you’ll never see the storming
confusion inside a troubled soul. It’s
best if you think me strong and wise
and witty – for the gales might wash

you away like so many fishes lost to
the hungry. Placing words and verse
inside tidy boxes is relatively simple
when compared to the arduous task

of putting away upsetting and oddly
shaped emotions. Fearful that I may
fail and shine them up for abhorrent
display – unsorted and in fact much

too real – leaving splendor precisely
packaged in hidden attics. It's better
to keep all of the parcels and indeed
all the storms and verses for myself.

© 2008 Marcy Stoeckel

2 comments:

  1. I have often felt that my writing is both a reflection and deflection of what's really going on underneath the surface...which seems contradictory, but it's true. Putting on a smile is just easier sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I have often felt that my writing is both a reflection and deflection ..."

    Makes perfect sense to me.

    Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete